Next Race

Duluth, MN - half marathon

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

It's starting to feel like winter

Week in Review:
75 miles
1 double
18 mile long run
1 workout/race

With the wind chills dipping into negative degrees, it's been hard to get my doubles in. I'm not hitting as high of mileage as I would like, but for winter I'm doing pretty darn good for myself. I broke down and got some hand warmers which have been a tremendous help this year. I managed to get through a 22 mile long run last week with them with degrees in the teens (thank goodness it was sunny!) I wish I was in the kind of shape I was in before Grandma's Marathon, but I'm not too far off.

This past weekend, Marshall and I signed up for Cabin Fever 20k in Rogersville. We had a long workout scheduled, so figured signing up for this race would be a good way to get our butts out of bed and get the mileage in.

Goal: 4 miles marathon pace (MP)/1 mile half marathon pace (HMP)/4 mi MP/1 mi HMP for 10 miles total, then a down mile followed by a fast mile.

Actual: 10 miles at 59:50, followed by hard mile which was way off pace

Cabin Fever results

The workout didn't go quite as planned. It just so happened that the miles that were supposed to be at HMP were uphill and into a northern wind, so the workout ended up just feeling like a fairly long/hard tempo. Nonetheless, we got to run on some rolling hills which probably ended up being better for us long term. I'm still taking this workout as a success. I could see this being a fairly fast course if it was run in the warmer months.

Freezing! We were first overall :) Awesome snowflake
I also have to say that the race director did a great job with this race. Considering it was so cold, there were volunteers at every turn and the race was very well marked. Another plus was that this was a CERTIFIED course and was very accurate. Sadly, short courses have become much to common in Springfield.


ALSO. . . only 4 weeks to go until the trials! Ahhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment