Next Race

Duluth, MN - half marathon

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Two Weeks To Go!

Week in Review:
73 miles
15 mile long run
2 doubles
2 track workouts
2 runs with SHORTS (in January!)
1 Nailed the Yasso's

It's hard to believe that last week we had two snow days and this week we were wearing shorts all weekend! There's only two weeks until the big LA trip and if the snow could hold off until we return, that would be great.

Last week was supposed to be one of my highest mileage weeks, but I fell short of 80 miles. On Tuesday, the roads were super icy. My commute took about triple the usual amount of time and I did slide off into the ditch once, but was able to just drive back up to the road. The truck really sucks with those kind of conditions. And dummy me, didn't bring treadmill clothes to run at work.

So I got up early the next day and put in 6 miles on the treadmill on Wednesday morning. Then later that evening, the roads were pretty much clear so Marshall and I put in 10 miles in the Hood (short for our neighborHOOD). I did notice from the very first step of this run that my right calf was feeling unusually tight. I pushed it to the back of my mind, but by the last mile it was really starting to bug me.

Snow run!
Thursday morning came and we woke to about 2 inches of snow. No biggie, it slowed us down but we made it out for a 5 mile run with hopes of another run later that evening. Again, the calf was feeling odd and about half way through we hit a sharp little uphill which pain seared through my calf. I thought about it all day and we decided to nix our evening run that day. Instead Marshall started treating me with ART (ART is awesome. . . check it out!) for about a week and each day I started to feel significantly better.

Finished our longest run of the training cycle - calf didn't feel the
best, but made it through









24 miles

So, to summarize. . . I dropped two days off this week and still made it to 75 miles, so I'll take it :)

This brings us up to this past week. We had hill repeats scheduled, but decided to do the track workout we had scheduled the day it iced. I really wanted to get on the track before our Yasso's on Saturday. The workout was mediocre, but we managed to get most of the work done before it got too dark. Next up . . . Yasso's.

2+ warm-up
Goal: 10 x 800 @ sub 2:40 w/2:40-3:00 recovery
Actual: above - all 2:38 and faster
1+ c/d
11 total miles

We nailed our Yasso's!! Yay :) It's been a month or more since I've felt that I'd really nailed a workout. Don't get me wrong, I haven't had bad workouts, just none that I've walked away from feeling like a Bad A. . . until now!

Saturday morning was beautiful! After the warm-up it was warm enough to wear shorts and a t-shirt. Almost perfect track weather, better than anything I could have imagined for January. It almost felt awkward wearing shorts; no tights or gloves needed.

With the Drury men's soccer team as our audience, this workout went off without a hitch. It felt good to really run fast. I kept the recovery honest as well, which is really hard to do with this workout. We even surprised ourselves with the last one. As usual got carried away with only one to go ;) Last one fast one, right?

Enjoying our morning at the track
Now only two weeks to go! Mileage will start to drop this week, but intensity picks up. I'm ready to head to sunny and warmer weather :) Now off to plan our trip festivities.


No comments:

Post a Comment