Next Race

Duluth, MN - half marathon

Sunday, February 25, 2018

February in Review & Cuteness Overload

February has been a great month! It started out with a trip to Alabama to meet my new nephew, Evan. 

Baby Evan - so cute!
This just so happened to be my birthday weekend, and was probably the first time in about 10 years that I've spent my birthday with my twin sister. So I spent my 30th birthday morning in Pensacola, FL and on a whim signed up for a 15k. My sister mentioned it about a week before we were to leave, and we were able to work out some logistics to make it work. This means that my first race of 2018 was on my birthday, and I walked away with 1st place and a nice prize check :) 
Was colder than expected

I had looked up past results and new it was pretty competitive (with the exception of last year). I thought I'd have a good chance of top 3 though. I knew it was going to be hard because we drove 13 hours Friday, had to get up in time to catch the bus at Pensacola Beach by 5:15 am, then run hard for 9.3 miles in cold/wind. 

Boy was it windy! That was the worst part. Overall, it was an amazing experience as we started in Pensacola and crossed 2 bridges that were 3 miles and a shorted 1 mile bridge (hence Double Bridge Run) to finish right at the boardwalk in Pensacola Beach. 

I didn't want to go super hard from the beginning, not knowing how the legs would hold up after fatigue hit and 13 hour of driving the night before. There were 3 women, counting myself, for about the first 5k. After the first mile being so windy, I decided to hold back and do a little bit of drafting. So I tucked in behind some men and the other 2 women for about 2 miles. At this point, the pace has slipped to above 6:00 miles, and it was far enough in that I started feeling a little better. So Marshall and I dropped the pace and quickly shook off the other 2. With Marshall a few strides ahead, and another man that I spent running side by side for another mile or 2, we managed to get the pace closed to 5:45 ish and basically hold that the rest of the way. 
First race in the 30 year age group category
I've never felt like such a celebrity at the end of a race before. The media was super excited and I think the town loves this race. I got to give a quick video interview and made the local newspaper as well. Here is a link to the newspaper and video if anyone wants to read about the "Birthday Champion" as I'm called. Lol (Link Here)

Yes, Marshall ran away from me again. We were slowly gaining on a pack of about 5 men, and I told him I thought he could probably take that whole pack. Which he did, but in the process the pack sped up to try and stay with him, and it was just enough that I couldn't get to any of them. 

The rest of February has been going well also. With a spring marathon in the works, my year is starting off with significantly higher miles than most. I usually pick a late summer or fall marathon. However, as everyone knows (because it is basically all I talk about), we are going to run in the Boston Marathon for the first time. We can't wait, and it is only 7 weeks away!!!

Week in Review:
90 miles
20 mile long run
2 workout 
10 runs

Workouts included faster finish on the 20 miles and mile repeats on the track. They were nothing spectacular - I've actually run almost the same pace for 2 mile repeats before. However, I did 6 reps (I usually do 4-5) and still managed to have all right at or slightly under 5:30). I've also got a lot of miles on my legs right now. Race week I still managed 70+, the last 2 weeks were at 80, and now just capped off a 90 mile week. So I am fairly strong, but feeling the hills and any little breeze a bit more than I would like. But I'm at my peak, so fairly soon the weekly mileage will slowly start to decrease. 

I also just started using Instagram (I'm so behind on social media...) and would love some followers! I would also love suggestions on users that you all follow.

User name is kimi.shankreed

One more, just because he is so cute

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the race and the new newphew!! Glad to hear you and marshal are doing great. Miss seeing you guys.
    Hope to run into you both sometime.
    Ashley O’Reilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope running is going well for you :)
      Hope to see you at some races this fall.

      Delete